Core Course Curriculum: Medical Decision Making/Informed Consent and People with Intellectual Disabilities9:00 AM » 10:30 AM
Location: 801 North Broadway, Room 202
Maureen van Stone, Esq., MS – Associate Director, Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities Program;Director, Project HEAL
Ellen Callegary, Esq. – The Law Offices of Ellen A.Callegary, P.A.
Participants will learn about and discuss:
- The ethical, legal, and pragmatic issues in obtaining consent from/for people with ID.
- The ethics of decision making for people with ID.
- The MD Health Care Decisions Act.
- A framework for decision-making capacity.
- Practical strategies for supporting people with ID to give informed consent when possible.